Thursday, November 26, 2009

Self Treatment day 2: The Plan

Hello all,

Confession: I am a hoarder and I am lazy...

So, today I didn't go through one box. But, and here comes one excuse out of many to come, I did take pictures as I promised and I did develop my plan further. Excuse number 2, it was Thanksgiving. However, here's where I realized yet again that I am lazy. I slept most of the day and didn't even leave the house until 5 p.m.! Surrrre, I did wake up a few times but I just didn't FEEL like eating breakfast, let alone going through any boxes. THANKFULLY, I am off work tomorrow so I will wake to try to do better... tomorrow.

As for today, I did read a short book titled Conquering the Paper Clutter, which I obtained over 5 years ago. Let's just say the copyright was 1999. Which proves my point as a hoarder, "Just because one hasn't looked at something in a year doesn't mean they won't". Either way, the purpose of this blog is for me to LOSE my hoarding ways, so I read through the book with a highlighter as it suggested so that the next time I choose to go through it I won't have to completely read it over again.

So as for "THE PLAN"...

1. I will perservere over the course of 1 year. Many on the A&E show had just a few days to tackle their obsession. I feel that adds to the stress and doesn't allow you to grow into better habits.

2. I will not open mail in my room which is one way to tame the paper clutter found in my room. Paper such as mail and magazines and bills will be taken care of immediately!! Either it will be tossed, action will be taken, or it will be filed.



3. I will actively spend at least 1 hour a day on the task of going through a box(es) and papers in those boxes will be handled the same way as the mail will be.






4. I will not shop for anything without someone there to hold me accountable to the necessity of the purchase. One thing hoarders tend to do is shop for deals that they intend to use or create with or give to someone else but never do. I even thought through a plan for online buying because it's even easier to buy online but I will share more about that after I have spoken with the third party person I will need for that plan to work successfully.

5. I will either make a confession, a proclamation or both in my blog. One thing hoarders tend to do is hide their environment from others in the form of never inviting others over or denying them access. Of course, I can't invite you all over but it would be easy for me to hide or even lie about what I have or haven't done. But I won't. I will make a confession if necessary i.e., I am lazy or I will make a proclamation of my success. Please give me feedback as support of proclamations or chastisement if necessary. I will hide no more.

As I mentioned before, there are a few more steps to the plan but I will share those later. It's not that I'm hiding any part of the plan, just that I imagine you are getting tired of reading right about now. Soooo.... please look at the pictures and send thoughts of success that I will conquer this obsessive complusive hoarding that has taken over my life so far.

I hope you had a great Thanksgiving and thanks for reading.


Kitchen mess


The black item is a mattress that I put on the floor in the
living room when my sisters came for Labor Day 2009


The result of previous efforts which was started
and not touched again in about the past 6 months

BTW - in case I didn't mention it this is the first time I have truly ever blogged so you will see that I will get better at this too.

1 comment:

  1. I forgot to mention my biggest excuse for being tired. Setting up my blog. Easy yet hard. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete