Saturday, January 2, 2010

Self Treatment days 5 - 38: Pressure, Distraction & small Success

Proclamation: I have gone through some boxes
Confession: It was NOT 1 box every day

So as I looked at the calendar to see what day I was on I was shocked that 38 days have gone by soooo quickly!! I must admit that I began this project during Thanksgiving vacation - when I was off to make regular post to my blog. Once I began working again I found it hard to sit at the computer. While as I mentioned in a previous blog, I admit I am lazy, I have also had some pressure added to the project as well as some distractions.

Pressure: My youngest brother moved in with me, which I knew he would but I didn't think it would happen as quickly as it did. Therefore, the room with all the books and boxes in it had to be decluttered not in the way that I would have liked to procrastinate to do it. There are now boxes piled in the living room which is where the mattress with the black sheet previously sat.

Distraction: So my project was distracted by trying to make room for my brother. Meanwhile, Tis the season to shop for others.... NO I did not take someone to the store with me to help me weigh the necessity of my purchases and I ended up adding items to my situation. Other distractions include driving to Detriot from Florida 2 days before Christmas to pick up my Stepfather and a house full of boxes. It was an 38 hour trip completed from Tuesday, Dec. 22 - Dec. 24th. We (2 drivers on the way up and a 3rd on the way back) were back in Florida by 3 a.m. if that paints the picture well enough. I almost slept through Christmas! Not, there were too many family members in town. Christmas vacation week was filled with making money on the side to make up for the presents I should not have been in the store buying anyway. I could make excuses all day soooo on to success.

Success: The one room was cleared of my boxes. With my handy stepfather's help the closet full of clothes in that room will be moved to my room once he installs one of those closet organizing devices in both rooms. Additionally, I have gone through about 2 boxes and straightened out 1 self in the living room during these last 33 days and I even made myself throw out a few things.

Despite the added pressure and distraction, I am excited for 2010! This is the year I conquer the clutter in my life and desist from being a hoarder. The movie Julie and Julia is now on DVD and I plan to watch it to get renewed motivation and I plan to watch a few episodes of Hoarders on A&E. I also plan to share my blog website with some friends and family for added support. I would like to thank those who have been following my off and on again blog so far. Please continue to send positive thoughts toward me.
I will be cured of this condition!
I will also make more regular post to my blog. While for now I may not be able to post everyday, I will try to get a few post in by the weekend.
Happy New Year!!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for calling attention to this serious problem that can be life threatening. Congratulations for making the commitment to do it! You don't have to go it alone. There is a 12 step program called Clutterers Anonymous where we conquer our stuckness one day at a time. Join us on the phone or in person anonymously! http://www.clutterersanonymous.net

    ReplyDelete